Re: kernel source for ppc

Bret Hughes wrote:

On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 14:32, Chuck R. Anderson wrote:
On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 01:58:40PM -0600, Bret Hughes wrote:
Since there does not seem to be a kernel-source rpm anymore, is there an
rpm to install the kernel source for ppc?  I installed kernel-devel but
i do not see a configs dir like I am used to so I can start with the
config that is on the running kernel.  has this process changed or are
the test packages just not there yet.
Install the src.rpm instead.  Then look in /usr/src/redhat/*

OK, Thanks.  Is this setup a done deal?  If you are wanting to build
something that relies on the kernel source tree, I assume that a
rpm-build -p SPECS/kernel-version and ln -s /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-version /usr/src/linux would provide the needed tree?

What a pita.  From reading rpm-qi kernel-devel, the kernel-devel package
is equiv. to the old kernel-headers?

I an sure there is a reason to do it this way but I am not seeing it
unless RH is just trying to make it harder for folks to migrate here
from other distros.

Sorry if this has been hashed out before I did not search the archives
before going off on this mini rant.

Bret

I haven't finished downloading CD #1 yet, but you might want to read the Release Notes it surely contains. There probably is discussion of how to create the kernel source. Actually I think the idea is a good one.

Bob