Re: mac mini install

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 09:15:47 -0500
From: Gerald Henriksen <ghenriks@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: mac mini install

On Fri, 2005-03-18 at 00:41 -0500, Gerald Henriksen wrote:
attempted to install test1 onto a mac mini (via http) but when the
installer brings X up the resolution is messed up so that X is only
displaying part of the installer programs (the buttons are off the
bottom of the screen).

Is there any easy fix to this so I can actually attempt to do an
install?

At the boot, try:

	linux resolution=1024x768

If that doesn't work, just do a "linux text" install as that'll at least
get you up and running

Failure on both.

Setting the resolution was ignored.

Linux test results in a anaconda traceback saying no os module

linux text worked for me on the mac mini - unfortunately I not longer have this sweety. I followed Colin Charles http://www.bytebot.net/geekdocs/ibook/fedorappc.html instructions at the end of the install process to check on yaboot.conf and /etc/inittab (I think enablecdboot and macosx= was still missing). For disk partitioning I used the manual mode of diskdruid and created the 1mb Apple Bootstrap partition and one more ext3 partition for / of FC4. Then I uninstalled the rhgb.rpm and removed the rhgb keyword from the kernel parameter list, because this is broken during booting (shows only 640x480. The resolution= parameter also never worked for me. Then I rebooted. After installation gdm was sucking up CPU resources which I fixed with yum update gdm - however only after disabling gpcheck in /etc/yum.conf, before yum was always complaining about the missing key. Then I used the Xautoconfig.rpm to create a working X config file and then FC4t1 worked on the Mac Mini. I could even make the USB CDC Ethernet driver work with the USB port of my Motorola SB4200 cable modem :-) The FC4t1 desktop looks fine and I like the way the menu got cleaned up.

Regards
Philipp Ott