Re: Fedora Core 4 PPC usb boot image

Here is a 32 bit image that will boot your mac off a usb key
[...]
dd if=ppcboot.img of=/dev/sda bs=1k
[...]
pop the usb key into your mac. Power up holding the option key (alt)
down and you should get the graphical chooser. Choose the disk with the
USB logo below it and the small tux log.

Click on the -> arrow and it should take you there.

but not the usb-stick, the usb-stick-led (256mb) is flickering

sorry, no led is flickering :-(
but later while booting into  fc4t1/macosx

afaik the mac can not boot from usb but firwire [T].
Works for me on my ibook with the chooser.  On a G5 I've just tested the
chooser didn't find it.  I know at least one other person was able to do
it

In OF can you do

devalias - note down your usb devices, then for each usb device (eg
usb1, usb2) try doing:

dir usb1/disk@1,1:\

Actually as disk@ can change

dev usb1
ls

is probably better correct boot line in OF:

boot usb1/disk@1:,\\:tbxi

edit the device path as necessary

OpenFirmware
[alt]+[apple]+[o]+[f]

Apple PowerBook6,4  4.8.3f1 BootROM built on 04/01/04
0> devalias
[...]
0> dev usb0
0> ls