grub and old kernel still left behind - multiboot

After upgrading to FC4T1 on a system with multi-installations, I was left with the previous kernel and also grub did not seem to change anything related to the grub loader. Grub was originally using /dev/hdb1 for this prior installation and was left intact when I upgraded via the FC4T1 disks. Anyway, I am curious as to whether grub works at all from the installation CDs. I tried to install a clean system and afterward could not access this clean install on another computer. Resorting to the rescue CD, the actins seemed to complete, but nothing seemed to take.

Jim