Re: gnome-cd skips

Jonathan Corbet <lwn-fedora-test@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sometime over the last month, a rawhide update bestowed upon me a
> version of gnome-cd which skips.  Bits of the audio drop out every 30
> seconds or so.

Update time: research tells me that gnome-cd is reading the data from
the CD and feeding it to the sound card itself.  At least, when I play a
CD with gnome-cd, the "PCM" mixer control affects the playback volume,
while the "CD" control does not.

If, instead, I play with cdplay or grip, the volume is adjusted with the
"CD" slider.

The gnome-cd people had to go to some effort to make it work that way;
one wonders what advantages they were going for.

Meanwhile, with current rawhide, the skipping problem has gone away.  So
I'm happy...

jon

Jonathan Corbet
Executive editor, LWN.net