Re: Fedora Project launches Pre-Extras

Dag Wieers wrote:

Removing is

	fair from a strict principal point of view
but
	without merit from a technical point of view.

I agree that it's necessary, but by the same token the current solution, using repo tags, is inadequate anyway.

Ever tried cross-dependency resolution between freshrpms/AT/DAG/Dries? Good luck not finding *some* package that you have to exclude/manually update because one of the four either incremented the epoch or has a tag that supersedes another in some way.

I'm not saying that the above is unnecessary, either - those decisions are made for valid reasons, but usually from within the context of *that* repo, not from the overall context of the whole, IMHO. There needs to be a way to allow repositories to have some sort of meaning - so that Repo A's package can't overwrite repo B's package, when said package is part of a larger application (example: xmms, xmms-skins, etc), *without* incrementing the epoch and subsequently causing *versions* not to matter anymore.

Maybe a 'release' epoch that doesn't supersede version?

--
Ken Snider