re: a modest request

The problem with bad sectors is not with sectors that show a write check but with those that don't show a write check but are bad. The write check on most hard drives is very simple and consists only of parity. If a certain number of bits are dropped then there will be no write check and install will work perfectly. You will never know about this until you try to run the program because there will be no read error. In addition there is the case where buffers are being allocated. No check of media integrity is made on these(swap partition). This has always been a problem with RH. Most shops have discs with small bad spots and many discs develop these over time. The c option was put into mkfs just to take care of these problems. At the present time we must take ANY disc that displays even a small bad spot and use mkfs on another system before we can install Linux. I suspect that a surprising number of the strange troubles that are being reported by only one user are due to this problem. When you invoke Disc Druid you need to be able to request a long format or else mkfs needs to be on the recovery disc. Currently discs are tested at the factory and bad sectors are locked out In some large discs there are quite a few bad spots. In normal operation perfectly good discs will have bad spots develop over time. This is not a serious problem with modern discs if it is handled by the software. The problem has always been that RH doesn't handle the problem. Incidently, Microsoft does.