Re: Fedora Firstboot Enhancements

On 11/20/2004 04:12:20 PM, joelbryan wrote:
Here are the list I believe should be asked in Firstboot.

1. Printers & Scanners
2. Network ISP's for PPPoe (DSL, Broadband)
3. Up2Date Software Updates
4. Login Preferences (Facebrowser, Network Login)

My opinions

Printers and Scanners should be done the way are done now - kudzu detects them if they are directly connected, administrative tool front end to cups from within the menu system. First boot is the first impression a user has after install - and setting up printers/scanners is a fragile matter, firstboot should go smooth to install confidence in the user.

Network ISP's for PPPoE - yes, set that up during firstboot, either there or in Anaconda.

Software updates should not be done in first boot, once they have booted, if they have network - the throbbing red ! is indication that action is required. Doesn't need to be in first boot.

Login preferences - gdm can be easily configured once you've booted.

-=-

What I _do_ want to see added to first boot -

if there isn't a mail alias for root, ask the user who should get root's mail, create the alias, and run newaliases.