Re: FC3RC5 is doing something on partition mount

Gene Heskett wrote:
Greetings;

I have a dual boot system, one side is FC3RC5, and the other side is a mixed debian/morphix/rtai install.

The only shared piece of any disk in the system is /boot, with grub installed in the MBR.

I do have entries in the FC3RC5 /etc/fstab file that does a cross mount so that I can move stuff back and forth between its normal; boot, and booting up the Brain Dead Install (BDI) to run the emc (electronic machine control, or CNC) program.

The mount operation when FC3RC5 is booted is doing something to the BDI installs partition that renders it incapable of being checked with exactly the same version of e2fsck, each one calling itself 1.35 TBE. It reports that this filesystem contains options that are not supported by this version of e2fsck, and that I should get a newer one and try again.

The only thing that I have been able to do to get BDI to reboot, is to put in the cd and reinstall it, meaning it will mke3fs on /dev/hda5 as it does so. This takes about 2 hours as the machine and the cd are both getting old and slow like me.

Then it will reboot, and its /etc/fstab then mounts the FC3RC5 partition just fine.

Which of the mount options in the FC3RC5 bootup's fstab do I remove to prevent this screwing with the other boots data? Or do I have to remove the FC3's /etc/fstab mount of it entirely, which will be a pita as the other sides networking isn't just yet. The /etc/modules.conf link is on the missing list when booted to BDI.

This problem was noticed by me when trying to boot any FC system that is pre-FC3T1 with systems that are later than FC3T2. I got booted to a maint shell on the pre-fc3T2 systems. I guessed that the culpret was autofs.

Anyway, you can either remove the /etc/fstab from pre-FC3T2 systems or disable the filechecking for the volumes. I know that I was able to mount FC3T2 and later volumes within an FC2 system after the system booted.

I hope you can make sense of what I'm trying to explain.

Good Luck,

Jim