Re: Proliant CSB-6 Raid Drivers for Fedora

Arjan van de Ven wrote:

Errr, you do if the Kernel does not even recognize the controller drives at all. (Which it does not with this esoteric controller.)

if I can see lspci and lspci -n maybe we can add that.

And I am always amazed how people seems to think using software raid is as good a solution as using hardware raid. Come on, there is no comparison, hardware RAID is faster and more reliable and has little to no CPU overhead. Software raid can be CPU intensive and not as reliable.

Note that we're talking about csb6 raid here. That *IS* software raid.
You just get it from a binary driver instead of an open linux driver;
but it's still software raid done by the main cpu.

Server:
HP Proliant ml330 g3

Onboard IDE controller for CD-ROM and one hard drive (only have CD-ROM connected to this right now)
CSB-6 onboard raid controller w/no drives connected right now
	I can install a blank drive if you want.
So with the above two IDE controllers, a total of six IDE drives can be installed onto the machine.

Adapatec RAID 2410SA controller w/enclosure kit
	w/RAID5 w/4x300mb driver
	Everything is installed onto this array
768MB RAM
Fedora Core 2 w/all updates installed (using up2date using standard update site configured out of the box) including kernal

Sorry, no FC3RC5 anymore, the server has to be deployed next week, so I can not play with the release candidates anymore. :(

I suspect the output would be the same as FC3RC5 did not detect any drive attached to this controller during the setup process either.

lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: ServerWorks GCNB-LE Host Bridge (rev 32)
00:00.1 Host bridge: ServerWorks GCNB-LE Host Bridge
00:03.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage XL (rev 27)
00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5702X Gigabit Ethernet (rev 02) 00:05.0 System peripheral: Compaq Computer Corporation Advanced System Management Controller
00:06.0 RAID bus controller: Adaptec AAC-RAID (rev 01)
00:0e.0 IDE interface: ServerWorks: Unknown device 0217 (rev a0)
00:0f.0 ISA bridge: ServerWorks CSB6 South Bridge (rev a0)
00:0f.1 RAID bus controller: ServerWorks CSB6 RAID/IDE Controller (rev a0)
00:0f.2 USB Controller: ServerWorks CSB6 OHCI USB Controller (rev 05) 00:0f.3 Host bridge: ServerWorks GCLE-2 Host Bridge

lspci -n
00:00.0 Class 0600: 1166:0017 (rev 32)
00:00.1 Class 0600: 1166:0017
00:03.0 Class 0300: 1002:4752 (rev 27)