Network manager restart..

I can make my network manager die fairly consitently, by disconnecting and reconnecting my wired ethernet in order to force the network manager to switch to my internal wireless card and back. The desktop icon disappears and "service NetworkManger status" reports the service is dead. I restart it and it seems to start fine with "service NetworkManger status" reporting the service alive. However, I can't get the desktop icon back. What's the best way to do that?

--
  __o
_-\<,_   Brian