Re: RC5: Dependencies everywhere!

On 10/30/2004 09:19:00 PM, Robert L Cochran wrote:

I know the frustration and the feeling! Some months ago I tried to uninstall a small number of web server-related components that came with Fedora Core 2 and it was heck because of a seemingly endless chain of package dependencies. All I wanted to do was to get rid of a small set of packages. I resorted to rebuilding at least one package where I removed the dependency from it, then installed it as an upgrade. That in turn let me rpm -e a bunch of packages. Not pretty, but it gave me what I wanted. With some packages a little more thought needs to go into deciding what the dependencies really ought to be.

I agree. Often this can be done through sub packages.

I don't use any qt apps.
But because gstreamer-plugins includes an arts plugin, arts is required which in turn requires qt.

Not as big of a dependency issue but still - simply making a gstreamer- plugins-arts package would mean it would be possible to install a system without qt.