Re: Averatec Laptop Useless Under FC3RC1

Michal Jaegermann wrote:

- Try the install a third time using the text mode installer. Install succeeds, but... - Upon reboot, when the graphical grub should be displayed, the screen goes blank,

I have not a clue about your laptop but you mean here 'rhgb' or
a grub menu?  If it is rhgb which gives you troubles then you
can hit 'a' on grub screen and replace 'rhgb' boot option with '3'.
What then?  What about '1' instead of '3' (and no 'rhgb' of course).
Or maybe just dropping rhgb is enough (the same as replacing 'rhgb'
with '5' for a default installation).

Once you booted to a shell prompt it is always easier to try
figure out what next and how to start X.  If you can install in
a text mode then you can surely boot to at least level 3.

If it is really a grub menu then this is mighty weird as there is
really nothing "graphical" at this moment yet.  What if you will
boot into a rescue and comment out "splash" from your grub.conf?  It
is there only to make things "pretty".

  Michal
I truly mean grub. As in, the machine says "loading grub stage2..." (if I remember correctly) and then instantly black-screens. There is no grub menu where I could change the runlevel or anything. I'm guessing whatever issue this is, is a VESA-level issue of some kind.

FWIW, lspci under FC2 says this is a VIA VT8378 [S3 UnivChrome] video card.