Updating

I am having serious problems trying to get the system updated. Lately yum and up2date has been getting wiped out notoriusly for some reason. Admittedly one of the main problems is my lack of knowledge of the linux OS. I used yum to update the system yesterday, it ran for over 10hrs downloading files, messing up, not finding files - losing files - resolving deps and so forth. It got so bad I just freshly re-installed the system only to have yum to:
(1) complete destroyed - yum.conf file (emptied it completely.)
(2) totally removed -  /etc/sysconf/rhn/sources (nothing there anymore.)
running yum update yum...gives errors i.e. - Insufficient repository configuration. No repositories Found/Enabled. Aborting. While running up2date gives: can't access /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources, then bring up a blank update screen go through the motions and just quit.
At this point I am lost without a clue. Will not give up, but do need help.