Re: First look at fc3rc1

On 10/23/2004 06:33:31 AM, Paul wrote:
Hi,

> But for me totem is the right path (gstreamer based).

It would be nice if the damned thing could play an mpeg video!

It can.
You just need the right gstreamer-plugins.

The rawhide totem on *my* FC3 system is very nice - I built and installed the right plugins.

That's why gstreamer backend is better than xine or mplayer - you don't have recompile your apps every time you want to add capability it didn't have before, you just need the plugin. Supposedly the same company that paid the guy to do all the work on gstreamer/totem is going to be offering these as a purchase option - I highly suspect divx.com will soon provide a free plugin (they already provided the shared library and the plugin code is already in gstreamer).