Latest rawhide update makes X server startup impossible

Hello:

I upgraded to the latest rawhide (10/20) and now am facing multitude of issues. I think I have narrowed down the culprit to some display problem or udev problem.

When I booted up and choose the newest kernel (2.6.9), the boot process got stuck after
it initialized hardware, with the statement "configuring kernel parameters".

I *could* get it to boot after removing the word "rhgb" from the relevant line in the grub screen (hence my suspicion that this is a display problem). Ok, the system now gets going, however fails to start and X server, with old conf file, tries to make a new one and still fails
(I believe it tries to load either the VESA or the nv driver).

Does udev manage the display adapters as well ? So it could be a udev problem as well.

An inspection of log files provides the error message

glxGetActiveScreen from .../libdri.a is unresolved

(it also warns that this may not be the cause of the failure to start).

Someone know how to fix this ?

Amitabha