Fedora Linux 39 Final blocker status summary

Hi folks! We're into Final freeze, so it's time for a blocker status
mail. The current Final target date is 2023-10-17, meaning we'd need a
release candidate by, er, Monday, so get your skates on everyone :)

Action summary
==============

Accepted blockers
-----------------

1. anaconda - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2239213 - MODIFIED: anaconda
team to submit update with fix

2. anaconda - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2241632 - ASSIGNED: anaconda
team to work out a fix and submit an update with it

3. fedora-release - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2242437 - POST:
sgallagh (or me/Kevin) to merge PRs and do builds

4. firefox - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2242454 - MODIFIED: adamwill
to submit update when the build is done

5. firefox - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2242523 - NEW: adamwill to
submit update when the build is done

6. initial-setup - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2241274 - POST: mkolman
to merge the fix and do a build/update

7. kernel - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2240859 - MODIFIED: QA to
test/karma
https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2023-c3bb819677

8. mesa - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2238711 - ON_QA: QA to test/karma
https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2023-86e10b6cae

9. mutter - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2239128 - MODIFIED: QA to
test/karma
https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2023-fd2feee3b7

10. shim - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2113005 - NEW: Maintainers
(kraxel / jforbes / pbrobinson) to clarify if there's any chance to get
the kernel stuff backported and a new shim built for F39, otherwise
we'll have to waive this again

11. uboot-tools - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2241252 - ASSIGNED:
maintainers to investigate and fix

12. xdg-desktop-portal - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2240211 -
VERIFIED: QA to test and karma
https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2023-a34ccfc45b

Proposed blockers
-----------------

1. blivet-gui - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2241761 - MODIFIED: QA to
test/karma
https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2023-e9198d932d

2. kbd - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2242287 - MODIFIED: QA to
test/karma
https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2023-fa617966c7

3. kernel - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2239807 - NEW: stakeholders to
vote at https://pagure.io/fedora-qa/blocker-review/issue/1359 ,
reporter to check if 6.5.6 happens to fix it

4. librepo - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2242115 - POST: stakeholders
to vote at https://pagure.io/fedora-qa/blocker-review/issue/1375 ,
jrohel to build an update with the fix

Bug-by-bug detail
=================

Accepted blockers
-----------------

1. anaconda - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2239213 - MODIFIED
anaconda should use localed layout conversion when setting default console layout

We just need anaconda team to merge the fix for this and do a build.

2. anaconda - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2241632 - ASSIGNED
Netinstall ISO renders a black screen when using kickstart install (bare metal and VM)

Anaconda team is working on figuring out the cause of this at present.

3. fedora-release - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2242437 - POST
updates-testing should be disabled, fedora-release should have release >= 1

This is trivial and just needs a couple of merges/builds, I guess Kevin
and I are giving the official maintainers time but if it isn't done
soon we'll do it.

4. firefox - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2242454 - MODIFIED
DBusActivatable is not implemented correctly

The build to fix this is running right now, then I need to submit an
update.

5. firefox - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2242523 - NEW
Too many firefox launchers are preinstalled

Same as #4.

6. initial-setup - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2241274 - POST
initial-setup text fails on hardware

There's a PR that's confirmed to fix this, we just need it merged and
an official build done.

7. kernel - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2240859 - MODIFIED
amdgpu crash: kernel 6.5.x  ([drm:amdgpu_job_timedout [amdgpu]] *ERROR* ring gfx_low timeout)

The update that should fix this is created:
https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2023-c3bb819677 . Just
need folks to test and karma it.

8. mesa - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2238711 - ON_QA
GDM crashes on Intel Iris Plus graphics - crash in gnome-shell cogl_gl_create_timestamp_query

Update is in testing:
https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2023-86e10b6cae . Just
needs karma.

9. mutter - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2239128 - MODIFIED
pop-up screen is stuck when try to  format a partition

Update is created:
https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2023-fd2feee3b7 . Just
needs testing and karma.

10. shim - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2113005 - NEW
Live image made with BOOTX64.EFI from latest shim-x64-15.6-2 fails to boot on some boards

This is the infamous one that we've been waiving for several releases
due to the lack of nx support in the kernel meaning we can't get a new
shim signed by Microsoft, even though we know the fix for the bug. The
kernel patches seem to finally be getting merged upstream, but it may
be just too late for F39, unfortunately - if so, we'll have to waive it
one more time. It'd be good if Gerd / Peter / Justin can clarify the
outlook here.

11. uboot-tools - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2241252 - ASSIGNED
Fedora-Workstation-39_Beta-1.1 boots to a black screen on Raspberry Pi 4

We need the maintainers to work out a fix for this one, Peter says he's
working on it.

12. xdg-desktop-portal - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2240211 - VERIFIED
Fonts, maximize buttons, cursor size settings not applied in "GTK" Flatpaks

Update is in testing -
https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2023-a34ccfc45b . Just
needs testing and karma.

Proposed blockers
-----------------

1. blivet-gui - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2241761 - MODIFIED
cancelling partition editing by Esc doesn't cancel, but CONFIRMS the dialog

We have a fix for this lined up and it's already accepted as an FE, so
with testing and karma of
https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2023-e9198d932d this
should go away.

2. kbd - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2242287 - MODIFIED
loadkeys from kbd 2.6.1 triggers all mounts in the cwd

Similarly to #1, this is already accepted as FE and
https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2023-fa617966c7 is ready
for testing.

3. kernel - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2239807 - NEW
Fedora 39 Wayland experiences regular screen blackouts at increasing intervals after login on amdgpu with kernel 6.5+

We need votes on this one
at https://pagure.io/fedora-qa/blocker-review/issue/1359 , and it'd be
great if kernel team can come up with a fix, of course. It's basically
a judgment call about how commonly we think this bug is likely to come
up based on the feedback so far. There's an outside chance 6.5.6 might
happen to fix it, will ask the reporter.

4. librepo - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2242115 - POST
Binary PGP keys cannot be imported since librepo v1.16.0

We need votes on this one at
https://pagure.io/fedora-qa/blocker-review/issue/1375 . So far I can't
see a clear blocker justification, but take a look for yourself. A fix
has been posted as an upstream PR, it would be great if the maintainer
can build an update with it.
--
Adam Williamson (he/him/his)
Fedora QA