Re: Boot issue, probably with grub and maybe mdraid

On Tue, Jan 17, 2023 at 18:37:20 -0600,
 Bruno Wolff III <bruno@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Today one of three machines failed to boot 6.2.0-0.rc4. The machine that failed had not been rebooted in a week and now won't boot any kernel and it appears grub is aborting with a pointer out of range error. All three machines use ext4 and luks, but only the failing machine uses mdraid. I haven't recovered the failing machine yet, but plan to downgrade grub tomorrow and hope that confirms a grub bug by allowing it to boot. If so, I'll file a bug report.

Running grub2-install in a live image fixed this. I'm not sure if this is a bug or if people are expected to do this themselves (before rebooting) because there are issues trying to automate this for legacy systems. It might be that the scripts to do updates don't pull the correct devices when /boot is on raid. It is very annoying though when this happens.