Re: Loud PC speaker beep during reboot, sometimes

On Thu, 22 Sep 2022 10:41:18 +0200
Kamil Paral <kparal@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Completely randomly, my laptop sometimes emits a loud PC speaker beep
> while rebooting/powering off Fedora 37. The beep is very strong, and
> as a PC speaker sound, it of course ignores any configured volume
> level, mute status, and even headphones plugged in. I fortunately am
> in a different room than the rest of my family sleeps in, but if I
> were in the same room, and were I just a regular user, this would
> probably be the last day of Fedora on that laptop. The beep is that
> loud and uncomfortable, especially at night.
>
> I wonder if somebody else running F37 noticed it as well? Any hints
> what might cause it and how we can fix it? It never happened on F36
> on the same laptop.

alsa usually has the pc speaker disabled.  It has been a long time, but
I think there is a configuration option that can turn it on.  Is it
possible that you have somehow turned this on?

I found this in the arch linux documentation,

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PC_speaker

Globally

The PC speaker can be disabled by unloading the pcspkr kernel module:
Note: This will not disable your entire sound system, only the PC
speaker.

# rmmod pcspkr

Blacklisting the pcspkr module will prevent udev from loading it at
boot. Create the file:

/etc/modprobe.d/nobeep.conf

blacklist pcspkr

Blacklisting it on the kernel command line is yet another way. Simply
add modprobe.blacklist=pcspkr to your bootloader's kernel line.

ALSA

For most sound cards the PC speaker is listed as an ALSA channel, named
either PC Speaker, PC Beep, or Beep. To mute the speaker, either use
alsamixer or amixer , for example:

$ amixer set 'PC Speaker' 0% mute

To unmute the channel, see Advanced Linux Sound Architecture#Unmuting
the channels. Tip: If you are using PulseAudio and the PC speaker
channel is not listed for the default ALSA device, try selecting the
device corresponding to the sound card - PulseAudio proxy controls may
not list the PC speaker.