Thoughts welcome: interface between automated test gating and the "critical path"

On 8/29/22 6:50 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
Hi folks!

I have one of those definitional quandaries and I figured I'd throw it
at the lists for some input.

I spent some years as a project manager and I have lots of experience with schedules. The term Crital Path was formalized in the business world when project managers learned to use Gantt Charts for their scheduling. The Critical Path was fluid and changed as various task dependancies were actually or potentially impacting the project completion date. The tasks and resources on the critical path got special attention to mitigate the delay. This usually led to changes in the critical path or new a critical path would come up. Redefining the term is is not a clean solution ot this problem.

First, I think the terminology needs to change. I propose having a critical package list. The critical package list would be defined as something along the lines: "These packages should be working in Fedora as released as Beta or Final. Failing packages must have blocker bugs and/or freeze exceptions." Notice the should gives room for making exceptions as packages fail near release time.

After that all critical packages should be tested and evaluated with openQA and Gating.

To adopt this approach their two tasks:

First decide what packages are on the Critical Package List. The reasons will be many and I don't see a need to document the reasons. A small group of people can make up the list and put it before the comunity for agreement.

Second change the testing and gatiing so they work from the list

	Have Great Day!

	Pat	tablepc