Re: Future of Test Cases and their Management in Fedora QA

On Wed, 2022-06-22 at 11:55 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 08:57:04AM -0600, Tim Flink wrote:
> > ================================================================================
> > 3. Continue Using WikiTCMS
> > ================================================================================
> >
> > Advantages:
> >  - Doesn't require any changes to how we're doing things
> >  - Is very flexible - can do pretty much whatever we want to without a ton of code
> >  - Doesn't require much maintenance or custom code beyond wikitcms
> >
> > Disadvantages:
> >  - More difficult to analyze data contained in the wiki
> >  - Only one person can report results in a given matrix at a time
> >  - QA is the only group still using the Fedora wiki
>
> From a user perspective, I discovered the QA test matrix pages long before I
> realized that they weren't actually meant to be used as wiki pages, and that
> they were actually managed by a tool. It's easy to mess things up. And the
> tool is somewhat klunky if you're not used to it.

Well, hand editing them is still Officially Supported(tm). You're just
supposed to *not* screw it up. If you do screw it up, one of two things
will happen. If one of the tools that uses wikitcms noticeably chokes
on it, I'll probably notice at some point, grumble a bit, and fix it.
If I'm feeling super enthusiastic I might fix wikitcms to handle
whatever you did wrong (it handles quite a lot of common human
errors/inconsistencies). If nothing that uses wikitcms chokes
*obviously* on it, we might never notice and it'll just be there
forever!

I try to steer people to using `relval report-results` because it
should be *somewhat* easier than hand-editing the pages, and it should
not ever write things in a way wikitcms doesn't parse properly. But you
are "allowed" to edit the pages by hand, too. (I actually do this
myself quite a lot, still). Just please don't screw it up. :P

There are ways to improve on this that *don't* involve switching tools,
of course. One option would be to enhance the testdays webapp quite a
bit and use it for this too. We could also make `relval report-results`
better, write a more graphical/web-y version of it, or something. I
have never put *that* much work into it, honestly. It's not that far
evolved beyond "just enough to do the job for the guy who wrote it". If
someone felt inclined, you could improve its interface quite a bit.

If we got either of those approaches far enough along, we could
consider locking out direct editing of the wiki pages somehow, if
that's plausible in mediawiki, and only allowing tools/bots to edit
them.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA