Re: Updated criteria proposal: networking requirements

On Thu, 2022-06-09 at 19:50 +0200, Petr Menšík wrote:
> I would propose also ability keep DNSSEC validation passthru. If
> infrastructure provides cryptographic records, they should be available
> also on the installed host. Without extra modifications.
>
> Ie. if delv @$NS is validated for all network DNS servers, then delv
> should validate too. But that would rule out systemd-resolved in current
> configuration. delv is a command from bind-utils.
>
> Is that too much to ask?

I would generally be hesitant to make anything that does not currently
work a release criterion. That is effectively requesting development by
the back door. It also seems to sort of go against reality - we are
apparently fine shipping distributions where this doesn't work, because
we've just done it, and there is not an outcry in the press or on
social media (AFAICS) that this doesn't work. That tends to imply we
don't need to block our releases on it.

Basically, if the implied request here is "make it so Fedora really
cares whether dnssec works", I'd kinda suggest that should be a Change
first. If it's accepted as a Change and gets implemented successfully,
then we could maybe consider whether it's a sufficiently important
feature to be release blocking. If we haven't even (as a project)
decided it's a desirable feature and proved we can implement it (that's
what the Change process is for), blocking the release on it seems
rather premature...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA