Re: Spreading test responsibilities to other teams

On Mon, 2022-03-28 at 15:57 -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> Hi friends,
>
> I was a little concerned that we were running some tests during the
> Go/No-Go last week, especially considering it seemed like we had most
> of the blockers wrapped up well ahead of when we normally do. Part of
> the answer, in my opinion, is to lean on some of the SIGs/WGs to take
> a more active role in the testing process for RCs and the period
> leading up to RCs.
>
> In particular, I'd like to see the Server WG taking care of the Active
> Directory tests (which is a non-trivial thing to remove our dependence
> on sgallagh's setup, admittedly) and the Cloud SIG taking care of many
> of those tests. The fact that we didn't have any AWS AMIs uploaded
> until after the meeting started suggests there's a gap in our process.
> And of course, pwhalen and coremodule could always use more support in
> running ARM tests.
>
> This isn't a criticism of the QA team, because y'all do a tremendous
> job. And I don't want to suggest that _all_ of the testing be pushed
> out onto other teams. But I'd like to start a conversation on how we
> can spread the responsibility out more. This should hopefully make
> everyone's life a little easier and make our Go/No-Go meetings more
> efficient to boot.
>
> Thoughts?

I think what we had there is really two specific issues, rather than a
more general responsibility issue.

It's worth noting that sgallagh doing the AD tests is *already* a case
of a SIG/WG doing its own testing, because sgallagh does that with a
"Server WG" hat on, not a "QA" hat. The issue there is more that a)
Stephen is the only one with a setup for doing the tests, and b) doing
them is a pain and Stephen's busy so he often doesn't get around to it
until I ping him directly.

The fix there is really more "let's figure out the legal/practical
issues and automate the tests" than "let's have another discussion
about QA/SIG relationships", I think.

And on the Cloud tests - the major issue there was that AMI
production/upload got broken so there were no AMIs to test. I think the
Cloud folks are generally aware that testing needs doing and involved
in doing it, but that was the stumbling block this time. We could've
noticed it a bit earlier - that's mostly my fault for not going through
the matrices the day before go/no-go, I was distracted by fixing
Rawhide. But again, that seems more like a specific problem than a
general one. I don't know if fedimg or whatever has been fixed yet, if
anyone has the ticket handy please link it...

I can configure the bot that creates the events to email lists other
than test-announce easily enough. IIRC it doesn't because long ago when
I wrote it, the feedback from other groups was that they can easily
subscribe to test-announce to get the announcements and they didn't
want the CC spam. But we can certainly revisit that.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA