Re: new criterion proposal: Graphical package managers (take #2)

On Thu, Jan 20, 2022 at 12:18 PM John Mellor <jmellor@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've done generic, app-specific and custom installers and lots of
> install environments on a lot of architectures for about 45 years of my
> 50 years working as a mission-critical developer and maintainer.  There
> a lots of people who do not understand the Unix way of doing things or
> how to take advantage of the Unix filesystem to do things a lot better
> than Windows, and try to make installation or upgrades behave more like
> ancient Windows patches.  There are also a growing number of Fedora
> users who are now discarding the GUI updater in favour of dnf installs,
> primarily due to the GUI updater having extreme and unnecessary reboot
> requirements.

Maybe, but it's probably off topic for the test@ list. I think instead
it belongs on the desktop@ list where it can be discussed by the
Workstation working group.  The working group is due to revise the
product requirements document this month.

The central problem with reboots is, we don't have a sophisticated
enough process to know for sure whether the environment is in a known
good state. What if the kernel has had an oops or is tainted in a way
that could negatively impact the update? The current update strategy
is fragile - it's making modifications to the currently running
system, and if it were to fail it can leave the system broken in a
variety of really inconvenient ways. And frankly, no one wants to take
a chance on any of that, hence the first reboot is to ensure clean
kernel state, and a limited environment with reduced number of
services for performing the update with minimal chance of conflict.

No one has argued reboots are inherently mandatory, just that given
the resources, frankly it's cheaper to require the two reboots. There
are other ways of updating being explored to reduce the reboot to one.
And reduce update frequency so that the compulsory reboots aren't
happening more than once every couple weeks, hopefully.

--
Chris Murphy