Re: F35 retrospective follow-up: proposed actions

On 11/26/21 6:04 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
Hi folks! So the F35 retrospective has been up for a while:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_35_QA_Retrospective

[Snip]

4. "kparal - After F34, we talked in our team about doing a selected
compose testing in a complete full run (all test cases), way ahead of
the milestones (Beta and Final), and as a group effort to encourage
people to really fill out all test cases. Yet we never got to it in
F35. Some of the bugs might've been discovered earlier this way." - I
wonder if we could do this as a "test day" or "test week", or two:
schedule one event around Beta freeze and one event around Final
freeze, and have the goal of the event be to fill out the test
matrices. What do people think of this idea? If it seems like a good
one, I'll file tickets for creating those events.

[Snip]

7. "sumantrom - Sending some testing event updates to our "users" list.
I see surge in contributors when there is an article posted in Fedora
Magazine which means Fedora's user base wants to contribute/ try out
things. Posting things in the user-list will help." - this seems like a
good idea for sure. If we still work from an SOP for organizing these
kinds of events, a concrete action would be to add this step to the
SOP, I can file a ticket for that.

[Snip]

9. "frantisekz - Some testing could have been conducted earlier in the
development, especially KDE/Discover blockers and bugs have been
present for a long time before the release." - I think the practical
step we can take here is already in progress: add more specific package
manager criteria and test cases. See the "new criterion proposal:
Graphical package managers" thread. Once the new criteria are decided,
we can create new test cases or extend existing ones, and once that's
done, the testing should get done more often and earlier. We can even
automate it. I can file tickets for those actions.

How does this sound to everyone? Please add any suggestions you have!
And there's still time to add new items to the retrospective itself, if
any new ones show up, I'll update this list of proposed actions.

Thanks everyone!

Everything sounds well thought out to me.

One additional thought: I feel like the graphical package managers are becoming an increasingly important first touchpoint for newcomers to a distribution. Taking a page from 4, 7, and 9 above, maybe we have a dedicated graphical package manager test day after some predefined milestone, announced on the users list? It might also bring in some additional feedback from people that usually don't use them.