Re: F35 retrospective follow-up: proposed actions

On 11/26/21 19:04, Adam Williamson wrote:

3. "Ahmedalmeleh - Bugzilla is challenging to me and still getting used
to it. I wish I was able to learn how to operate OpenQA's automated
tests, in the given timeframe and was given guidance sooner.", also
Ahmed's 'wishlist' item and Matt's item - I'll plan to file a ticket
for improved guidance on using Bugzilla, and ask Ahmed for specific
input on what might help. I wonder if it might be a good idea to drag
ourselves into the 21st century and record some videos covering common
QA activities too, that might be something some folks would appreciate
more than text instructions? For openQA, I'll ask Ahmed for more detail
on specifically what he'd like to do with it here, as "operating" the
tests isn't something we envisage most contributors typically needing
to do.

From the "helper's" point of view I find videos to be very good. I use OBS-Studio. When I have "how do you" questions from a user, I use OBS-Studio to record the screen and my voice as a short video while I do a "show and tell" of how to do whatever it is they want to do. The added benefits are that I rarely get followup questions and I can answer any repeat or duplicate questions very quickly.

How does this sound to everyone? Please add any suggestions you have!
And there's still time to add new items to the retrospective itself, if
any new ones show up, I'll update this list of proposed actions.

To begin with this will be a bit off topic. I've spent most of my free time in the last year learning about servers. The application is "home servers" Most of the folks I know have multiple devices they use but they don't have storage to hold all the documents, code snips, images, etc. they may want to access from a given device at a given time. A home server is a good answer

The folks on Ask Fedora were very helpful. I summarized the initial results in this post:

https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/fun-home-project/34347

The hurtles for setting up a home server are daunting for the uninitiated. I estimate that I spent around 200 hours in the last year looking for doc's, asking questions, understanding the answers, trying things, etc. I expect that this is due to the expectation that servers are for businesses that hire people with specific skills and training to setup and manage servers.

I'm hoping, that when it's done, the information presented in my follow up posts will lower the time investment and pre-answer many of the questions involved with such an effort.

Getting more people familiar with more ways to use fedora and provide them with a trail of bread crumbs to follow seems like a good thing to me. We probably have more opportunities to lower the hurtles for people to use various Fedora offerings.

	Have a Great Day!

	tablepc		Pat