Re: new criterion proposal: Graphical package managers

On Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 7:32 AM Kamil Paral <kparal@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> * install, remove and update software, even if multiple operations are scheduled sequentially or concurrently

I don't like the "multiple operations" part but to be honest I'm not
sure if that's because I worry about how many delays it will cause or
if I legitimately don't think that's a sufficiently common use case.

> * list software installed on the system

We should clarify this to something like "list software installed from
managed repositories". The wording probably needs help, but the idea
is that we want it to know what RPMs and flatpaks are installed. But
if someone installs a package from source or a tarball, we don't
expect the package manager to know about it. I know that's not what
you're saying, but it's worth being clear here so that future readers
are clear on the intent.

> * start the selected installed software

Is this a common case? I almost never use a graphical package manager
myself, so I don't know.

> * configure software sources (enable/disable/add/remove repositories, set default sources) and then adjust the available software pool accordingly

Do we want to make it clear that it's not intended to allow the user
to *add* a new repository? Or is that understood?

--
Ben Cotton
He / Him / His