Re: Heads up: Possible ext4 file issue in rawhide after updates of 17th or 18th of September

On Mon, 20 Sep 2021 08:39:38 -0600
Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Could you file a bug and include: e2fsprogs version; kernel version
> for initial use (installation); kernel version the problem appears
> with, if different; and compete dmesg.
>

> Once filed, post the URL here. Thanks

I installed from a F35 netinstall image, and just continued with
Rawhide after branching.  Because I think the disk is failing, I am
reluctant to mess around with it.  Since I won't be able to get the
data you want, I cloned (rsync) the problem OS install into a partition
on another disk.  It has been running for several hours with no
problems.  I've run updates without a problem.  I'll keep monitoring,
but I think this points strongly to the disk as the issue.

I was surprised that I was able to read from the problem disk, but it
performed flawlessly.  It seems to indicate that writes are
problematic, but not reads.  When I get a replacement, and have it
working, I'll try booting the problem OS again.

No bugzilla because so far it seems to be a false alarm.