Re: The 5.14 kernel in rawhide seems to be unstable, having lockups and failed boots, didn't occur with 5.13

On Sun, 11 Jul 2021 07:28:48 -0000
"edmond pilon" <edpil02@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I noticed that all rawhide kernels are built with debugging mode and
> may produce issues (slow-down or freeze) .
> Only rc releases  seems to be nodebug.

Thanks for your help.  It would make sense.  There is a greater chance
of race conditions, and out of sync conditions, if the speed disparity
between various asynchronous processes is altered.  I haven't tried it
yet, but it looks promising.  Every 5.14 kernel has the kernel oops
when it boots, but the 5.13 kernel, which is nodebug, didn't show them.
As far as I know, there is no way to pass a flag to systemd to tell it
to boot things in sequential order.  That would be slower, but would
never have timing problems.

I checked, and because 5.14 is so early in its cycle, it has no nodebug
kernels available yet.

What I've found works is to let the kernel boot, and then let it finish
up housekeeping before doing anything.  That seems to let all the
disparate parts of the kernel sync up.  I tried that with the latest
5.14 kernel, 20210709, and even though it had the kernel oops during
boot, I was able to successfully start X.  I am running it as I type
this, and it seems to be working fine.

I normally run custom compiled rawhide kernels tuned to my hardware.
In those I turn debugging off.  I haven't been able to build one for
5.14 yet because of a problem in the build process.  I will try again
with the 20210709 kernel because it seems the fix for the error is in
that package.