Re: pipewire in rawhide isn't working for me, no sound. Any pulseaudio / pipewire migration links welcome.

Hello Stan,

I would say that switching to PulseAudio from PipeWire on F35 is an ugly hack that you should try to avoid as much as possible. On Fedora 34, PulseAudio was replaced by PipeWire which is the default sound solution for Fedora 34. This is the same for Fedora 35.

If you are having problems with PipeWire on F35, it might be worth troubleshooting that rather than going back to a deprecated solution, especially when there were no audio issues on Fedora 34 when we released, and I have not seen any since then either.

On my Fedora (34), I do have the /etc/pipewire location where the configuration files for my system are stored. Also, there are two services which need to be running at least, pipewire and pipewire-pulse. I am using pavucontrol to tweak the connections, but Gnome Settings could do, too.

I will try installing F35 later today and see if I experience any troubles with the sound.

Stay tuned.
Lukas

On Mon, Jul 5, 2021 at 4:20 PM stan via test <test@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, 4 Jul 2021 07:38:08 -0700
stan via test <test@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As a test, I removed pipewire, and its dozen or so dependencies.
> Sound started working again, and I was able to configure things to my
> preferences.  I'll keep an eye on pipewire and its progress, perhaps
> try installing it and its dependencies periodically, but I don't
> really need its touted benefits, so for now I will stick with working
> over innovative.

The fix didn't survive a reboot.  When I checked, it was running
pipewire-pulseaudio, not pulseaudio.  So, I installed pulseaudio with
--allowerasing, and sound is again working.  Well, almost.  I use an
obsolete fedora python2 application that I rebuild locally called
pulseaudio-equalizer to tune sound output.  And it is not working with
the new pulseaudio.  If there was a built in equalizer in pipewire,
that would provide an additional incentive to get it working.

Lukáš Růžička

FEDORA QE, RHCE

Red Hat

Purkyňova 115