Re: Questions about the testing process

Hi Adam,

Are release validation test results forwarded to the ResultsDB repository?
If so, after this storage, if the compose passes the tests, the synchronization with the mirrors starts. Who is responsible for initiating the synchronization?

--
Best regards,
Beatriz

Santa Catarina State University - UDESC

Em qua., 16 de jun. de 2021 às 16:33, Adam Williamson <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:
On Wed, 2021-06-16 at 15:03 -0300, Beatriz Michelson Reichert wrote:
> Hi, I'm Beatriz and I'm a student at the Santa Catarina State University.

Hi Beatriz! Glad to help out.

> Currently, I'm studying the Fedora Release Life Cycle, and would like to
> know if anyone could help me with some questions about this subject:
>

>    1. Is the Fedora CI infrastructure (
>    https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/ci/) in production, i.e., is it
>    being used to build/test official packages/images? Or is it only
>    experimental?

It is in production. "Fedora CI" per se, though, isn't directly
involved in compose testing/validation at present; it only runs tests
at the level of individual package builds. These are reported and used
for gating via Bodhi as part of the workflow of individual
packages/updates being tagged stable, rather than the level of an
entire compose being run from the stable package set.

>    2. When considering the release validation tests. I understand that each
>    day, a full compose of the tree is attempted and successful composes are
>    synced to the /fedora/linux/development/ directory on the mirrors. Right
>    after this process, each successful compose is tested by openQA, that is,
>    the release validation tests are run. Am I right, or the validation tests
>    are run before the synchronization with mirrors?

The openQA validation tests run before the mirror sync is complete;
they're triggered by the "compose finished" message. This is partly to
get them done as quickly as possible and partly because, IIRC anyway,
there was no "mirror sync completed" message when we implemented the
scheduling. I don't recall if there is one yet.

openQA pulls the images to test directly from where the compose is
initially spat out by Pungi, under
https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/compose/ . Most tests that use repos
are also configured to use the repositories from the compose tree
rather than the default mirrormanager repos. However, tests of the
'default install path' don't do this, as it would invalidate the test,
so those tests usually wind up using the repo from the previous
compose, which can cause results to 'lag' a bit. Triggering the tests
after the mirror sync is complete would fix that issue, if we ever
decided to do it. :P

Hope that helps! Please feel free to ping me any time if I can help
with anything else.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA