Re: post go upgrades (re)testing

I wonder what the best way to improve the situation would be. There are two issues as a I see it:
a) Some packages (pipewire.i686) are not in the default installation and therefore our automated checks don't catch it. The manual checks are often done with default installations as well, but someone with a real-world machine can stumble on it.
b) Some packages (I think this is the case of iptables) are in a default installation, but are in updates-testing, which we ignore during upgrade testing. On one hand, it makes sense, we want to make sure the stable repo is functional, and updates-testing often includes broken stuff which could prevent us from running the upgrade test completely. On the other hand, on the release day, a lot of packages get pushed from updates-testing to updates, and it might result in broken upgrades, while we had no knowledge about it. To complicate it even further, it's a constantly moving target, i.e. the set of packages which are "pending stable" (to be pushed to updates when the freeze is over) can change literally every minute.

The true fix here for both cases would be a static test which would check the installability of packages, and wouldn't allow pushing updates which don't pass. Something similar to rpmdeplint which we used to run in Taskotron (rpmdeplint itself had many issues, it would need to get much improved or written differently, to be able to make it a reliable gating test). But we don't have it and likely won't have it for a long time.

So what can we do which is easier and at least partly covers the issues? For a) I think we need to depend on community reporting, because we can hardly test a random combination of installed packages. But for b), we could extend our upgrade testing matrices with two variants - one would test with stable updates, the other would test with updates-testing enabled. It is not perfect, because any broken update in updates-testing can obscure other issues present ("dnf --exclude" is not always the remedy), so we still can miss important problems. We can't force package maintainers to unpush problematic updates just because we want to test the rest of the repo. And even if we could, refreshing the repo takes at least a day, so there's a very slow turnaround. However, it gives us more chance to spot potential issues and make sure that they are reported and that they don't get pushed stable (by giving them negative karma). Thoughts?

We can also test upgrades once the updates repo gets populated, as you mentioned. It's pretty late to detect problems at this stage :-/ , but better late than never, I guess. I wonder if we could use openQA for this [1]. Adam?

[1] Which reminds me, we should make sure to run "dnf system-upgrade" with "--best", to catch these issues.