Re: pipewire and high-res audio

Lukas Ruzicka <lruzicka@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote on Tue, 6 Apr 2021 09:44:22
+0200:

>what happened when you tried to reload the services (or restarting
>computer)?

Ah, the Power-On-Reset panacea.  Cures many ills, and cured this one
nicely.

Both prior to pipewire (F33) and with pipewire (F34), it is possible to
obtain 192 kHz output with direct use via ALSA of sound cards that
support this frequency.  With the change to pipewire configuration:

      default.clock.rate        = 192000

I find pipewire will provide data at this rate when the default output
sound device supports it.  This is a definite advantage of pipewire over
Pulseaudio, which (as far as I know) has no such capability for default
output.

I tried, without success, to reproduce the original problem.  I restored
/etc/pipewire/pipewire.conf to its original state, logged out, logged in,
rebooted, all without any pipewire crash, and observed the original 48
kHz behavior.

I changed pipewire.conf again to specify the 192000 rate:  no problem,
and output is back to 192 kHz.

Good news.

Abrt is a different issue, but I suppose it will improve in the normal
course of events.