packages are in bad shape issue 131

I've just read through: #131 Red Hat Bugzilla: GNOME packages are in bad shape.

https://pagure.io/fedora-workstation/issue/131

I always like to know the background of people who are talking to me so here's a little, appropriate to this topic, background on me.

I'm one of those who help out with testing. My involvement with RHBZ bugs is filing them and providing information to help with trouble shooting.

I've been an engineer working on hardware design and software for my whole career. I'm very familiar with the processing of bug and reports with other titles that basically said either I or someone else had a problem to solve. I fully understand many bugs are never resolved and the reasons why. I've attended and led many meetings where bugs were discussed, prioritized, etc.

That was hard enough to manage, in the context of a company where everyone was an employee working on a single project, but as I consider the number of teams of people and individuals who are involved with the software in Fedora Linux I am greatly impressed that the bug systems involved work as good as they do.

I agree though, that improvements can be made. One advantage that the company environments have is that when a bug is not going to be worked on, everyone knows it and why. In RHBZ or GitLab Issues bugs just hang around. Perhaps this could be improved by requiring all bugs to be triaged at least to the extent where it can be determined if it will be worked on and if not give a reason such as "no bandwith for this release please reassign to Rawhide", "Please file upstream". This initial triage could probably be best done by the person that a bug is initially assigned to.

I understand that their are likely hundreds of new bugs filed each release cycle. If other fedora folks could be invested with the general reasons why bugs don't get worked on they could help with this initial triage and avoid filing such bugs. One thing I've learned is not to file bugs on applications that are not installed by Anaconda in RHBZ. Even for those installed by Anaconda it seems best to only file bugs on "system" items rather that those that are "general user". These might be triage points. Another suggestion is that at the beginning of a cycle someone could check the groups to see what sort of bugs they will or won't have bandwidth for. This sort of approach might be more achievable than trying to get the report systems to work together. I suspect that a major problem for the bug / issue database clutter is lack of person hours. So quick, but intelligent sort outs may help. Even an automated system could check for "Is this bug against something Anaconda installed?"

Yes, I agree, closing bugs for such reasons might be harmful to moral of those filing bugs. However, having their bugs just hang around with no apparent action isn't good for moral. At least the early sort out keeps the database cleaner so developers don't need to have so many sorts on their view of RHBZ, let folks know status, and maybe some bugs get fixed that wouldn't have been seen due to view sorts in RHBZ.

I have tried filing bugs in both directions (RHBZ and GitLab Issues) with mixed results.

I have one I have been watching for a while now (over a year). I filed the bug with RHBZ and I have considered filing a report with upstream with Firewalld. I'm not a member of any of their teams so I doubt I could even file a report. My experience with trying to file reports with other upstream teams has not been good; so I've been ambivalent about trying it with the Firewalld team.

I have from time to time, when I have bugs that have been hanging around for two or more revisions, just closed them. I don't like cluttering up databases with reports that are of no value to the team. I have been able to find other ways to accomplish what I need to do; so I can live without software that has the unresolved bug.

Please let me know if there are things I can do to help. Also, please let me know if this kind of input is useful.

	Have a Great Day!

	Pat	(tablepc)