Re: /boot on btrfs

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 3:50 AM TheEvilSkeleton
<theevilskeleton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I tried using /boot on btrfs a couple of times some days ago, and it kept failing each time until I used ext4.
>
> This is bad UX. If I need to "fiddle with enough" on a problem that wasn't supposed to be a problem, it should be addressed.

Yep.

But also understand that the installer team, just like many teams, has
fewer resources than the task list for features, bug fixes, and
regular maintenance. Btrfs enhancements are simply a lower priority.
Compression by default in Fedora 34, is actually a Fedora community
supported feature. It's not officially supported by the Anaconda or
Blivet teams (although they did provide quite a lot of advice that was
crucial to making the feature ultimately work).

Since Silverblue is not a release blocking edition or spin, some rough
edged UX is permitted for non-default paths. /boot on Btrfs is one of
them. I don't know if anyone knows exactly what the issue is, and thus
what fix it needed, so that'd be the first step is look in rpm-ostree
issues to see if this is already known, or in the Silverblue tracker.

> By default, when using the automatic install process, /boot uses ext4 when it should be using btrfs instead, and when using the custom partitioning tool, it should allow me to use btrfs without it being a reason to failure.

Yeah it's not that simple. Fedora depends on a feature "grub hidden
menu" to provide flicker and menu free boots. GRUB pre-boot reads
/boot/grub2/grubenv to know if the previous boot succeed or not, while
resetting the variable in this file. GRUB is disallowed from writing
to this file when it's on Btrfs, ZFS, md raid, or LUKS.

Various issues need to be discussed in terms of the Boot Loader
Interface and Boot Loader Specification. We need some kind of
standardization, not just keep adding more things for the sake of
doing them. And right now BLS and BLI are very UEFI and x86 centric,
leaving out too many other platforms we care about. The specs need
shoring up. And the bootloaders need to reflect the specs, and then
there's installer and image builder work.

This particular bug might have a simple fix, but you'd need to help
the upstream projects find out exactly what's wrong.

--
Chris Murphy