Re: Post-mortem: Preventing broken updates from being pushed out?

On Tue, 2021-03-30 at 17:23 -0700, Michel Alexandre Salim wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Following up on a broken update that got pushed:
> https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2021-d42d8643e4
>
> (I'm not naming the package here, as my goal with this discussion is
> not to assign blame but to figure out if we can prevent similar issues
> from reoccuring)
>
> Event timeline:
> - an update is created
> - one person upvoted it
> - someone noticed it is incomplete (because it relies on a separate
> update but was not pushed together -- previous iterations of the same
> update, done by a different user, normally bundle these two together).
> They left a comment but no negative karma

I didn't leave negative karma because it wouldn't necessarily help; it
might just mean the *other* update got pushed stable first and that
might still cause problems. I could've nerfed them both, but I figured
I'd trust the maintainer to make sure they'd go stable together.

The maintainer did try to prevent the same thing happening to F32, but
ran into issues navigating Bodhi. Bob, for future reference, the
standard workaround for the case you ran into is just to bump and
rebuild one of the packages with no changes. Then you can obsolete the
update for the lower versioned build, and edit the higher versioned
build into the update for the other package.

> - two more upvotes so the update got automatically pushed out
> - someone else finally provided negative karma but the package is
> already out
>
> IIRC we are making progress towards making sure updates are installable
> , and block pushes to stable based on that - is that coming soon?

It will happen whenever a new Bodhi release is made and deployed to
stable.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA