Re: gdm question

On 3/29/21 10:01 AM, David wrote:
In my install of Rawhide, gdm has a flat black background,

but in Fedora 34 Beta, it is a blue background that is different shades
of blue across the screen, sort of fading from one spot to another.

Just curious if this is intentional.

Most likely. There is a new wallpaper created for each release, but rawhide is separate. I've never installed rawhide, so I have no idea what the default is for it.

and if there is an easy way to adjust the
background ?

There are a few ways to do it, but what I just tried might be the simplest. It also opens a fairly large security hole, so make sure you follow all steps to clean it up at the end. (Rebooting will also reset it.)

Open a terminal and run "xhost +".  (Security hole.)
Then run "sudo -i" and enter your user password to become root.
Run "sudo -u gdm gnome-control-center". That will bring up the settings interface for the gdm user. Careful what you change in there, you're just there for the background. Make the changes, then quit.
Press ^D or type "exit" to get out of the root user.
Then run "xhost -" to close the security hole.