Re: sort of GRUB2 related / some feedback

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 10:50 AM David <dlocklear01@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have about an hour of usage with my new fresh install of Rawhide WS on
> my old NVMe.       Working great so far.
>
> The following grub2 packages came pre-installed
>
>       grub2-common.noarch                 1:2.04-35.fc34
>       grub2-efi-x64.x86_64                   1:2.04-35.fc34
>       grub2-tools.x86_64                      1:2.04-35.fc34
>       grub2-tools-minimal.x86_64         1:2.04-35.fc34
>       grubby.x86_64                              8.40-51.fc34
>
> What I noticed different, ( in the grub2 menu ), is that two of my other distros that are on separate
> SATA SSD's, are available as a choice.     Those happen to be the stable version
> of OpenMandriva KDE, and the developmental version of OpenMandriva ( Cooker ).
> I think I have others that were not shown ( maybe a FreeBSD )
>
> But my Fedora 33 WS install on my secondary NVMe was not shown.
>
> More importantly, if I choose one of those other distros, then each time I boot, I get
> their custom decorated grub menu ( which I think is compiled with clang ), and on their
> menu it will only let me choose those two distros mentioned above - not Fedora.
>
> In order to get back into Rawhide, I have to do it the old-fashioned way, by going into
> my bios and messing with the boot-sequence.
>
> [ Sidenote:   While on the subject, it is easier to adjust the boot-sequence on a
> ASUS motherboard, than on a Gigabyte. ]
>
> So to get to my secondary NVMe and use my Fedora 33 install, I have to change the boot-sequence
> when booting.    ( on my Gigabyte motherboard, I can not tell which NVMe is Rawhide and which is
> Fedora 33, nor any other difference - they both just say vaguely "Fedora PCIe" )

Sounds about right.

GRUB design is based on being modified+owned+installed by a particular
distribution. Each distro's GRUB is quite different from upstream and
any other GRUB, so the interoperability is a distinct weak point. Boot
Loader Spec is intended to address this, and is implemented in
Fedora's GRUB by the blscfg module, but isn't upstreamed yet. There's
still some work to do but we're pretty close to at least multiple
Fedora's sharing a single bootloader instance and /boot volume.

--
Chris Murphy