Re: Need help with btrfs.

On 2/23/21 10:58, Matthew Miller wrote:
On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 10:18:13AM -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:
sudo btrfs scrub start /mnt
It's kind of unfortunate that we also have a command (in the distro since
2007) called just "scrub" which will destroy al of your data. :-/

Not going to lie, it took three tries to read this to understand what
was being said here. :)

Sorry, just... don't accidentally leave "btrfs" out of the above command. :)

We *do* have btrfsmaintenance[1] which provides what you're asking
for. However, we don't install it by default or have presets set up
for the timers. There were arguments for and against shipping and
enabling them by default[2].

Ah, thanks.

I recall a long and detailed discussion on this list before F33 was released concerning what disk maintenance would be required with BTRFS. As I recall, the final word was along the lines the running Scrub and the other BTRFS utilities wouldn't be necessary since it was being set up so maintenance shouldn't be needed. There was also some hesitancy to call for running scrub because, depending on how often it's run Scrub can be hard on SSDs (they wear out faster).

Hmmm... Now that seems to be changing. I guess we better revisit the BTRFS maintenance issue again. The first part is: Was this a surprise one-off due to operator error or similar? Do we have a problem and BTRFS maintenance will be required?

	Have a Great Day!

	Pat	(tablepc)