Re: Failure to boot Workstation live install images

On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 7:34 PM pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx
<pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2/9/21 18:11, Chris Murphy wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 3:29 PM pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> > <pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >> As I understand f3 it just writes files to the flash and reads them back
> >> checking for errors. I'll go ahead and try f3 on the same thumb drive.
> >
> > It can distinguish between different kinds of problems.
> >

> I have no doubt, but the granularity of detecting faults on a formatted
> and mounted storage device by writing files must be less than a pattern
> test that does not use any preexisting disk data structure and the disk
> is even dismounted when the test is run.

Probably true most of the time. But it depends on the defect.

It is true that there's some small metadata space that isn't tested
because it's taken up by the file system itself but if that corrupts,
chances are you'll see weird problems during the read. Or you can just
use Btrfs which will unambiguously tell you of an error in metadata
locations that aren't covered by the test.

> > Well it's a bit needle in a haystack trying to track down transient
> > boot problems.
>
> Well I certainly understand the problems with flash. However I don't
> think they are quite as bad as that.

This is about as many boot failures as I've seen on the test list in
quite a while though.

--
Chris Murphy