Re: Testcase Audio Recording Basic (new test case proposal)

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 2:01 AM Kamil Paral <kparal@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 12:30 PM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> GNOME applications pull in most of the GNOME desktop as dependencies.
>> Properly developed KDE applications will pull in the KF5 libraries and
>> occasionally some Plasma libraries. That's just how it goes. It is
>> also unrealistic to expect GNOME applications to work fully "to spec"
>> on KDE because KDE does not provide all the D-Bus interfaces and
>> services that GNOME does. We can and do have quirks when applications
>> are transplanted from one desktop environment to another, if the
>> underlying frameworks don't handle this well. While most of the KDE
>> frameworks adapt well to a non-KDE environment, it's rare that GNOME
>> applications fully do, especially ones that depend on things like
>> gnome-settings-daemon, gnome-shell, or gnome-control-center. In the
>> case of gnome-sound-recorder, it'll be fine as it's quite simple. But
>> if you were using something like the GNOME screencast app, that would
>> fail in KDE. Note that I'm specifically saying "GNOME applications".
>> Plain GTK applications are generally fine on Plasma.
>

> Neal, you're doing a great job in Fedora, but this made me somewhat angry. Because I *did* spend the time yesterday, installed KDE in a VM from scratch, and tested gnome-sound-recorder, audacity and kwave in it. And sounds like you haven't. Gnome-sound-recorder only pulls in gjs and libhand1, and that's *all*. It's the most minimal application I could find. I also tested its functionality, it worked without issues. I stand by my opinion that this is the best sound recorder to recommend. Your reaction is the tribalism I was talking about, negatively reacting to anything that has "GNOME" or "K" in the name.

I specifically said that GNOME Sound Recorder is fine because it's
simple, but the majority of GNOME applications are *not*. But I was
responding *specifically* to your comment about tribalism, because you
suggested that all desktop applications for each desktop work fine on
other desktops. That's not true, especially for highly integrated
applications (which a lot of GNOME ones *are*).

> Audacity is OK, but it's UI is quite old, it crashes every time I close it, and it pulls more dependencies (11 more packages in KDE). It's a decent fallback option, but I wouldn't recommend it as the first one.

I'm surprised that it crashes so much. That's unfortunate...

> KWave pulls a zillion packages on GNOME systems (over 50 packages) and it's UI is the worst of the three, at least from a beginner perspective.

KDE applications have larger dependency webs because of the KF5
libraries, I'm not surprised. As for the UI, yeah, I don't disagree
there. It's closer to Audacity than a simple sound recorder.