Re: Unable to login to FC34 x86_64 system.

On Thu, 2020-12-10 at 09:14 -0800, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 10:02:41AM +0000, George R Goffe via test wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just upgraded this system after running "dnf upgrade". At the invitation to login screen I type in any userid and hit enter. I get a message about "corefile" and "segfault" and "glib_2" which QUICKLY disappears. In single user mode I'm looking around but don't see anything obvious. There is a corefile from 2 days ago from "ibus-daemon". I haven't investigated that core dump yet but wanted to run this situation by this group. Has anyone seen this problem? I am also able to recreate the problem in single-user mode by entering "su - anotheruserid" as root and then trying to su - root. This produces what looks like the segfault message I'm seeing when I attempt to login. glib_2 appears to be in the message as well.
> >
> > Any thoughts/hints/tips/suggestions would be appreciated.
> >
> > Best regards and STAY SAFE,
>
> This is likely the fprintd bug that Adam mentioned in the list
> yesterday. ;(
>
> So, upgrade fprintd (or remove it).

To actually *do* this, you can use rescue mode from an installer image.
Boot an installer image, select 'troubleshooting' then the rescue mode,
when it boots, tell it to mount the installed system when it asks you,
then do 'chroot /mnt/sysroot' . Then you can update or downgrade
fprintd, somehow. I'd suggest this:

mkdir /var/tmp/upd
cd /var/tmp/upd
dnf -y install koji
koji download-build --arch=x86_64 --arch=noarch fprintd-1.90.7-1.fc34
koji download-build --arch=x86_64 --arch=noarch libfprint-1.90.6-1.fc34
dnf update *.rpm

that should do it. Then reboot and see if things are better. An
alternative to rescue mode is to pass `systemd.debug-shell=1` as a boot
param, which *should* give you a root shell with no authentication
needed on tty9 (I haven't tested whether that actually works with the
fprintd bug).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA