Fwd: summary of matrix/element chat discussion

For anyone who's not subscribed to devel@: it seems we're going ahead
with getting an official Fedora Matrix homeserver. Given the generally
positive/interested vibe in the last meeting, once this is up and
running I'm going to propose we have a QA room there, bridged to
#fedora-qa on Freenode, and make it our "primary" chat location. That
will effectively mean that we provide links/instructions for Matrix
rather than IRC in wiki pages, event announcements and so on. I'll send
a more detailed proposal in the new year (today's my last working day
for this year).

Thanks folks!
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA

--- Begin Message ---
As promised, a summary of our video call for those who couldn't attend:

Highlights

* Red Hat’s Open Source Program Office is interested in this experiment and
  will fund hosted Element out of non-Fedora budget. That makes going ahead
  with a practical trial basically a no-brainer.

* We’ll have own hosted server at https://chat.fedoraproject.org/, and
  Element will provide a 1-day admin SLA at the level we’re getting. So, it
  won’t require ongoing CPE or volunteer resources at the sysadmin level.
  We’ll still need moderators and active admins of course.

* Log in will be through FAS, and we’ll also federate the server so you can
  come in with a different identity.

* Mozilla has seen a 4× increase in engagement since switching from IRC to
  Matrix (also hosted by Element). Also successful for KDE and SUSE. In
  progress at GNOME. :)

* IRC isn’t going anywhere. Many people still like it, and Freenode is still
  an important hub for free and open source software development. So, we
  will provide bridges.

* These bridges will be set up in a way that avoids some of the problems the
  GNOME project shared with their deployment.

* I had a concern that Zodbot would need to be ported immediately because of
  problems I’d heard about logged meetings, but we’re assured that those
  might be non-issues or at least easily fixed, which is nice for a
  soft-launch / experiment with no big infrastructure changes right off.

* On a slightly more controversial note: we know that the bridge can be
  somewhat annoying when Matrix decides it wants to send a URL rather than a
  long message, and that things like reactions just don’t get bridged. Our
  plan here, assuming the trial is successful, is to try and minimize these
  inconveniences but ultimately steer people to using Matrix natively. Many
  popular messaging clients (including weechat, for old-school folks)
  support Matrix directly now.

* When will this start? Basically as soon as the money is worked out.

Full notes at:

https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/the-future-of-real-time-chat-discussion-for-the-fedora-council/24628/27?u=mattdm
--
Matthew Miller