Re: Fedora 34 Change: Make Fedora CoreOS a Fedora Edition (System-Wide Change)

On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 1:47 PM Clement Verna <cverna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So what defines an Edition ? I think if we don't want to accept a different philosophy about release schedule and release engineering we can just close that Change proposal.
>

>From https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Editions:
> Fedora Editions are curated sets of packages, guidelines and configuration, and artifacts built from those pieces, that address a specific, targeted use-case. The Editions are the primary Fedora outputs that most Fedora users are encouraged to use and directed towards through the download site.

This is entirely unhelpful in answering your question, in part because
in 2013 we weren't really thinking about this kind of delivery model.

The fact that FCOS is explicitly and intentionally unversioned means
that it is hard to fit into our existing model. Unlike most other
deliverables, FCOS changes both *what* we deliver and *how* we deliver
it. One solution to this is to continue treating FCOS as essentially
an entirely separate thing. We move it up a few pixels on the website,
but that's it. I don't particularly like that solution, so the
question is how close can we get it. I have no answers, only
questions.

> How do you consider Rawhide for example ?

Rawhide isn't something we release, so for the purpose of this
discussion, we don't consider it.

--
Ben Cotton
He / Him / His