Re: Interesting problem with rawhide.

On Fri, 2020-11-20 at 11:50 -0500, murph nj wrote:
> If this is the wrong list, I apologize, just let me know.
>
> I have fixed the problem, so the below is for informational purposes.
>
> I was upgrading my Rawhide laptop today, and something interesting happened.
> (I was updating via dnf, and foolishly had not run it under screen)
> As it was proceeding, the window manager blinked out, prompting me to log
> in.
> I did, and it seemed fine.  I wanted to check to see if the kernel had
> completed correctly, so I took a look in /boot
> There is nothing.  ll /boot gives: total 0.
> Now, I have backed up everything, with the luxury of having it running when
> I saw this happen.  If the OS is a loss, and I have to start over, this is
> not a problem.
> I have a boot partition, specified by UUID, but I can't seem to mount it
> from fstab.
>
> ------new information has come to light---------------------
>
> It mounted OK by uuid to another location, so I rebooted, and it came up on
> the previous (rc3) kernel.
>
> I was able to complete the update, and all seemed OK, but the kernel had
> not updated, it was not in /boot, and would ot update with dnf update
> kernel.
>
> I did check in rpm, and it appeared to be there.  So I removed the package
> via dnf, and ran the update again.  It found the new kernel, updated and is
> running after a reboot.
>
> Just a little bit of warning, something caused the system to log me out.
> (There was an error, but I missed it)  Since I was in the middle of the
> update, it was a bit confusing, but it did recover OK.  I would presume
> that if someone had just rebooted, and not pressed the issue, that the next
> kernel update would have run OK, and eventually it would sort itself out,
> when the improperly installed kernel would be up to be removed.
>
> So, I got out of it, other than the expected logout, it seems to be OK.
>
> Any reflections on this?  Information I can add?

Same happened to me. I was running the update in a tmux instance on a
VT but even that wasn't enough to save it - the VT and the tmux
instance got killed :|

I'm not sure what script did this. I'm also not sure what would have
happened if I'd been running the update offline...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey