Re: a newbie question about Rawhide

On Thu, Oct 08, 2020 at 08:01:15PM -0500, David wrote:
> I am excited to report that my Rawhide install finally borked, and now
> I am faced with either trying to learn how to fix it, or starting over from
> scratch.

I love this attitude!

> I had been away from my computer for about 24 hours, and my last memory
> was that I shut it down before I left. The motel maids might have
> inadvertently unplugged it in order to vacuum. I do not think I have any
> automatic updates set up.

Auto-applying updates on shutdown is now the default unless you uncheck it.
So that's possibly what happened.

> The problem appears to be simple. GDM is not working right. It displays my
> full name instead of my username, and there is no place to click after I
> type in the password. It does not recognize my password in GDM.

Showing your full name is expected behavior if you have a full name
configured in your passwd file. Can you hit enter?

> In System Recovery, I can get to root, but I do not know how to fix things
> there. Is that the same as the tty or is the system-recovery terminal a
> different way of accessing the ways to fix it.

If you can log in as root, my first approach woudl be to hit ctrl-alt-f6 to
bring up a text terminal and

1. See if you can log in as yourself, and
2. If that doesn't work, log in as root, use the `passwd username` command
   to reset your password, and try step 1 again

If that doesn't work, look in the log with journalctl

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>