Re: agenda for todays QA meeting

On 7/22/20 12:41, Samuel Sieb wrote:

Most compression algorithms are far more than "removing same value byte strings".  Check out "huffman encoding" for example.  I've never had a lossless compression program corrupt my data.  Given your extreme mistrust of compression algorithms, it seems that you don't realize how much compressed data you deal with on a regular basis.
tar.gz, gzip, zip, rpm, initramfs, kernel, web pages, etc.

I know there are a variety of compression algorithms. I know they are used in many places and I have seen that there are many algorithms used in applications that can be trusted or changes tolerated at very low cost. My experience with them has led me to trust them in those applications. I also know from experience that their are applications of compression where the trustworthiness needs to be at least questioned. If this is extreme, well, all I can say is I don't mean to be extreme.

My concern with btrfs Was that it uses compression my data. It could cause a lot of work if bits started changing in our files. My concern with btrfs has been addressed and I am now fine with it. Though I certainly know there are other problems that can cause bits to change. I just try to minimize risk where I can. I was trained early on in school to not take things for granted. I try to be data driven. Since I don't have time to become an expert in compression and have some bad history with it I became concerned with this general application, but that's over now.

My experience with crc32 was in a hardware implementation. We needed good data integrity and the memory controller chip we chose had crc32 built in. I forget how many bits we added to each word to save the check bits, but I think it was four. I can imagine the uproarious laughter that would result if someone at a gathering of PC folks suggested that new memory modules should include extra bits to support hardware crc.

You mean like ECC RAM?

The hardware I mentioned was way back when PC were quite primitive let alone any ECC memory modules being available for them. The application had nothing to do with a PC. There was a lot going on with computing before PCs became popular. The only programmers were EEs that designed microprocessors into their boards. The mainframe folks just laughed at us and there weren't any folks graduating from school prepared to program micro's. They all wanted to program mainframes.

I know ECC RAM is widely used in servers. but I've never owned or seen a desktop that had ECC capability let alone included it as the default configuration. To be fair though, my users and I use older rehabbed Lenovo machines because they are cheap and they work very well for us.

	Have a Great Day!

	Pat	(tablepc)