Re: btrfs testing rawhide 0703

On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 10:26 AM pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx
<pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 7/9/20 10:31, Chris Murphy wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 5:46 PM pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> > <pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> However as I look at the journal it's not
> >
> > This is a good point. The testcase needs two updates. The one
> > previously mentioned which is not an fs journal recovery but about
> > raid6 recovery algorithm, which we can ignore.
>
> The part of this I don't understand is how is btrfs a raid6 on a system
> with only one physical disk drive?

It isn't raid6. And the message doesn't say that it is. The message is
just the generic raid6 module loading and saying what algorithm will
be used for raid6 recoveries. It's a superfluous information message
that doesn't apply if you don't have raid6 and you don't.

>I thought raid6 required two separate
> physical disk drives.

Minimum 3 devices.

> Okay so I guess we leave the test alone for those running ext4 and add a
> test in the same test case document for those running btrfs. Is that
> right? Or would we drop the ext4 stuff since it would no longer be the
> "supported" fs and rewrite the test case to be for btrfs only?

I think the test case just needs to be enhanced with a better grep to
exclude the raid6 module's message; while still including FAT, XFS,
ext4, and adding the new Btrfs treelog message. I'm not good enough
with grep to do that sanely.

Exclude:
[    3.483393] raid6: using ssse3x2 recovery algorithm

The portion of that to test for is probably "raid6 and recovery on the
same line" because ssse3x2 isn't what will be used on all systems. A
possible alternative test is "recovery algorithm" because that
combination doesn't come up in any of the cases we do want to include.

The kernel message for btrfs treelog replay is:

[   86.876029] BTRFS info (device vda3): start tree-log replay

> I foresee the need to a Fedora Magazine article to help people get
> started doing the btrfs maintenance.

Yes. Multiple articles are being considered.

--
Chris Murphy