Re: some basic Rawhide kernel questions

On Wed, 2020-04-01 at 18:24 -0400, David wrote:
> As of today, my install still uses the version below
> for the kernel
>
>      5.6.0-0.rc7.git1.1.fc33.x86_64
>
> ( and is running great, in my opinion )
>
> But in today's Rawhide compose announcement of upgraded
> packages, the kernel was listed as
> upgrading to the newer
>
>      kernel-5.7.0-0.rc0.git2.1.fc33
>
> So I have several questions
>
> 1 )   Yesterday, I think I only got the kernel-header package.     Is that
> the way this normally works.
>
> 2 )    Does Rawhide never run on the stable version of the kernel ?
>
> 3 )    What all goes into repackaging the kernel by the people tasked with
> doing that ?
>
> 4 )   How much different are the two kernels listed above ?
>
> 5 )   Does Rawhide use every tiny update on the git for the kernel, or does
> it
> sometimes skip one or two ?
>
> 6 ) Are there any other interesting insights related to this procedure ?

A lot of these questions should be answered here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Kernel
here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelRebases
and here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Updates_Policy#kernel_package

Let us know if anything's still outstanding after that!
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey