A personal usage report

Xfce Rawhide related

The last update went smoothly.

I noticed, that I got an update to the whiskermenu-plugin

I had never used the whisker menu, or if I did, it was in a distro three years that defaulted to that menu.   That menu has received some attention recently.

I had no idea what the difference was with the default menu, nor the purpose of the whisker menu.

I had no idea how to install the whisker menu.

But since Xfce gets few internal updates, I figured I needed to learn this.

It looks like Fedora ships the plug-in pre-installed.   So all one has to do is go to "Properties" on one of the menus and enable Whisker menu by clicking on a box, then click on remove the default menu. Then setup your whisker menu however you like it.

I do not know if you need to logout, but I did.

Do any Fedora users out there prefer the simpler default menu ?

I think most distros ( that favor Xfce ), now default to the whisker menu.

I think a new-user to Linux would be better served to have the whisker menu set up pre-installed as the other popular Xfce distros are doing.

But since most Fedorans seem to prefer to set things up themselves, then maybe not.

I was confused by the message that popped up "the menu will be permanently lost if you click yes."

The procedure is confusing the first time, as I had to Google around the web for 30 minutes before I found where to enable the whisker menu.  I do not think it is easily found in "Settings."

David Locklear
( Unemployed without pay due COVID-19 hysteria, on Day #5 )